A Toxic Environment: Mold In The Home

Are you interested in fixing up your house? Learn whether DIY projects or hiring a professional contractor is right for you.

A Toxic Environment: Mold In The Home

1 May 2017
 Categories: Construction & Contractors, Blog


Mold removal is not a job for the typical do-it-yourself homeowner. Sure, a little mold and mildew buildup in the bathroom grout can be easily scrubbed away with a stiff brush and some bleach. A major mold problem, however, should be cleaned up by professionals. If your mold issues are the result of a disaster, such as flooding, your homeowner's insurance may require you to hire a professional who specializes in mold removal. Here are tips to prevent mold, why mold can be dangerous, and what you can expect during the mold removal process.

Keep Mold And Mildew Away

Mold and mildew need a damp environment to grow. It doesn't pay to have a professional mold abatement service come in and get rid of the mold if the conditions that allowed it to grow to begin with are still there.

The answer lies in controlling the dampness and humidity in your home. Basements, cellars, and crawlspaces frequently have too much humidity, especially in older homes. A dehumidifier is a good start, but you will likely need to do more than that to prevent future issues.

Have a contractor come by the house to assess your whole-house ventilation. You may need to have roof vent fans installed to keep warm air from collecting in the attic, or you may need to have the ground around the perimeter of your home graded to keep water from making its way into your basement.

What Is So Bad About Mold, Anyway?

In additional to being unsightly, mold can cause real concerns, for both your home and your health. Mold can affect the integrity of your roof, drywall, HVAC system, foundation, gutters, and furniture. It will eventually destroy every surface it grows on.

Mold is also not good for your health. Asthma and allergy sufferers will be made miserable if they have to be constantly exposed to mold. Even those without asthma can experience breathing difficulties when there are excess mold spores in the air. Mold can also cause headaches and skin irritation, as well as a whole host of other symptoms depending on how one's body reacts to it.

How Is Mold Removed?

A mold remediation service like American Environmental Construction LLC will identify and assess the extent of the mold damage. They will seal off the area or room from the rest of the house with plastic sheeting to prevent the mold spores from going into the rest of the house. All of the damaged area, such as drywall, will be removed and disposed of in plastic bags to further contain the spores.

Non-porous areas will be scrubbed with chemicals such as chlorine to kill the mold. Once everything is dry, which may require the use of fans or heat lamps, the area will be repaired. Often, the job is finished with a coat of paint that has chemicals added that make it resistant to mold growth in the future.

About Me
Working With Professional Contractors

I have never been much of a DIY-er, but when I moved into my first home, I decided to try my hand at a few projects. My ideas blew up in my face--badly. I found myself struggling to put wiring back together and to repair the lawn that I had butchered. Instead of trying to clean up the mess and make things right on my own, I contacted a team of professional contractors for help. They were amazing to work with. They went through and worked room by room to repair my mistakes, and it was really incredible to see the difference they made.

Search
Tags